GOVERNANCE AND LEADERSHIP: Success starts at the top
ACCESS’s “Effective Governance and Leadership” program begins by explaining key concepts and principles, the roles of the board and managers, the difference between leadership and management, the role of leaders in setting a strategic direction and organizational policies, and the relationship between governance and areas such as risk management and internal control. Using a participatory approach in which the participants assess the governance of their own institution, ACCESS enables them to identify their strengths as well as weaknesses that need to be addressed. The output of the process is a plan to improve governance and the formulation or enhancement of the institution’s governance manual. Follow-up coaching supports the implementation of the policies and procedures in the manual.
- Board and management diagnostics
- Governance manual development
- Coaching to implement governance policies and procedures
INNOVATIVE APPROACHES TO SUCCESS
ACCESS’s approach to effective governance applies the principles of results-based management, which uses feedback loops to achieve strategic goals. Key ingredients for the successful implementation of this approach are monitoring and communication protocols that ensure the flow of information and instructions between the board and the management and staff of the organization it leads.
RESULTS AND REFERENCES
- Technical Assistance for Strengthening Institutional Capacity of Jaime V. Ongpin MFI, Inc.: JVOMFI, 2019.
- Strategic Re-Alignment and Management Workshop for Ligas Cooperative: Ligas Kooperatiba ng Bayan sa Pagpapaunlad (LKBP), 2019.
- Development of a Corporate Plan for the Centre for Excellence in Financial Inclusion (CEFI) in Papua New Guinea: Center for Financial Inclusion, 2019.
- Technical Assistance to UNNATI Access to Finance (A2F) Partner Banks and Financial Institutions in Nepal to Develop Agriculture Value Chain Finance products and Services: UNCDF Nepal/UNNATI, 2018.
- Priority Market Development Financial Inclusion Strategy for Chamroeun Microfinance Plc.: Chamroeun MFI, 2018-19.
- Appreciation course on governance for the Myanmar Microfinance Association: Appui au Développement Autonome (ADA), 2017.
- Governance assessment of three NGO-MFIs in the Philippines: Conducted under the “Improving Financial Inclusion and Social Impact toward Food Security in Southeast Asia” program, funded by the European Union and Agence Francaise de Developpement, 2010-13.
- Board Assessment and Governance Strengthening of the Cambodia Microfinance Association and Vietnam Microfinance Working Group: Conducted under the “Improving Financial Inclusion and Social Impact toward Food Security in Southeast Asia” program, funded by the European Union and Agence Francaise de Developpement, 2010-13.