MARKET RESEARCH: Know your customers
Making finance inclusive begins by understanding the current financial management practices of potential clients and their unmet needs. In addition, there is a psychological aspect to financial decision-making that needs to be explored.
ACCESS is a highly data-driven organization, and its market research program is a structured journey from data to financial inclusion. Using a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods, ACCESS builds a financial profile of rural clients as well as understands the hopes, dreams and limiting beliefs that drive their usage of financial services.
In-depth research on clients is combined with supply studies for benchmarking purposes and broader mapping exercises to estimate market size and identify potential service partners.
- Demand and supply studies
- Sector analysis
- Competitor analysis/benchmarking
- Client mapping
INNOVATIVE APPROACHES TO SUCCESS
Financial decisions are often influenced by emotions that stem from past experiences, as well as hopes, dreams, and limiting beliefs.
An understanding of the factors driving financial behavior helps clarify what needs are unmet, why, and how to respond.
RESULTS AND REFERENCES
- Renewable Energy Access for Off-grid Communities and Households (REACH) in Northern Samar: People in Need, 2019-20.
- Review of Digital Cash Transfer Platforms and Their Feasibility as a Mechanism for Delivering Australian Development Assistance in The Philippines: Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 2019.
- Design for Local Rice Promotion Project in Ivory Coast- Phase 2: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2019.
- Understanding Successful Women’s Entrepreneurship in the Philippines and Vietnam: Foundation for Development Cooperation, 2019-20.
- Development of a Corporate Plan for the Centre for Excellence in Financial Inclusion (CEFI) in Papua New Guinea: Center for Financial Inclusion, 2019.
- Priority Market Development Financial Inclusion Strategy for Chamroeun Microfinance Plc.: Chamroeun MFI, 2018-19.
- Improving Livelihood of Small Scale Low Income Farmers affected by Typhoon Haiyan Through Enhanced Institutional Capacities of Cooperatives in Eastern Visayas: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2015-18.
- Technical Assistance to UNNATI Access to Finance (A2F) Partner Banks and Financial Institutions in Nepal to Develop Agriculture Value Chain Finance products and Services: UNCDF Nepal/UNNATI, 2018.
- Financing the Large Cardamom Value Chain in the EDR with a Focus on Smallholder Farmers: UNCDF Nepal/UNNATI, 2017-18.
- Value chain analysis of selected commodities in Chin and Kayin State: ActionAid Myanmar, 2017.
- Supporting PRASAC Cambodia in Introducing and Enhancing Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Lending: Global Climate Partnership Fund, 2017-18
- Regional Programme on Remittances and Diaspora Investment for Rural Development: International Fund for Agricultural Development, 2015-18.
- Value Chain Analysis for Farm and Enterprise Development in Myanmar: European Union, Agence Française de Développement, 2013-17
- Improving Livelihood of Small Scale Low Income Farmers affected by Typhoon Haiyan through Enhanced Institutional Capacities of Cooperatives in Eastern Visayas: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2016-19.
- Needs Assessment on Microfinance Sector in Albania for Assisting its Development: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2016.
- Housing Gap Analysis Market Mapping in Vietnam: Habitat for Humanity Vietnam, 2014.
- Building Wealth for Filipino Farmers: Citi Foundation & Schmitz Schtiftung, 2013-14.
- Improving Financial Access of Small Scale Farmers in Mindanao: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2011-14.
- Improving Financial Inclusion and Social Impact toward Food Security in Southeast Asia: European Union and Agence Française de Développement, 2010-13.
- Remittance-Building Linkages for the Development of Rural Migrants and their Families through Microfinance Services (ReBuiLD MFS): International Fund for Agricultural Development, 2010-12.
- Research on Group‐to‐Coop Transformation through Networking in Cambodia: Canadian Cooperative Association, 2013.
- Rapid Rural Appraisal of Tea Production in Phu Tho Province, Vietnam: TYM, July-August, 2013
- Value chain analysis for financial product development for First Microfinance Bank of Pakistan: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2010-11.
- Survey on the Demand for Microinsurance Services in the Philippines: GTZ Philippines and the Microinsurance Innovation Program for Social Security, 2009.