PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT: Meeting Needs
With market research results in hand, enhancement of existing financial products or development of new ones takes place in a workshop environment, with the full participation of the financial service provider. Ideally, some of their staff will have been involved in data gathering during market research.
Facilitated by ACCESS, the product development workshop begins by analyzing the market research results to determine the features, policies and procedures for delivering products that build customer loyalty while managing risk in the rural economy. Marketing and promotional campaigns are also developed during the workshop.
A follow-up seminar is used to develop a business model and financial projections.
ACCESS has supported its partners to develop and pilot test credit, savings and insurance products designed to meet the needs of rural MSME clients.
- Agri-finance (mono, multi, cash flow)
- Savings mobilization (RSMT)
- Remittance-linked financial services
- MSME finance
INNOVATIVE APPROACHES TO SUCCESS
Support for the development of responsive products typically centers around market definition; product enhancement or prototyping; cost, pricing and financial projections; marketing; pilot testing; and lifecycle management.
Comprehensive product installation also recognizes the impact of introducing new products on human resources, operating systems, financial management and organizational culture.
RESULTS AND REFERENCES
- Financing the Large Cardamom Value Chain in the EDR with a Focus on Smallholder Farmers: UNCDF Nepal/UNNATI, 2017-18.
- Value chain analysis of selected commodities in Chin and Kayin State: ActionAid Myanmar, 2017.
- Supporting PRASAC Cambodia in Introducing and Enhancing Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Lending: Global Climate Partnership Fund, 2017-18
- Regional Programme on Remittances and Diaspora Investment for Rural Development: International Fund for Agricultural Development, 2015-18.
- Value Chain Analysis for Farm and Enterprise Development in Myanmar: European Union, Agence Française de Développement, 2013-17
- Improving Livelihood of Small Scale Low Income Farmers affected by Typhoon Haiyan through Enhanced Institutional Capacities of Cooperatives in Eastern Visayas: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2016-19.
- Needs Assessment on Microfinance Sector in Albania for Assisting its Development: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2016.
- Housing Gap Analysis Market Mapping in Vietnam: Habitat for Humanity Vietnam, 2014.
- Building Wealth for Filipino Farmers: Citi Foundation & Schmitz Schtiftung, 2013-14.
- Improving Financial Access of Small Scale Farmers in Mindanao: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2011-14.
- Improving Financial Inclusion and Social Impact toward Food Security in Southeast Asia: European Union and Agence Française de Développement, 2010-13.
- Remittance-Building Linkages for the Development of Rural Migrants and their Families through Microfinance Services (ReBuiLD MFS): International Fund for Agricultural Development, 2010-12.
- Research on Group‐to‐Coop Transformation through Networking in Cambodia: Canadian Cooperative Association, 2013.
- Rapid Rural Appraisal of Tea Production in Phu Tho Province, Vietnam: TYM, July-August, 2013
- Value chain analysis for financial product development for First Microfinance Bank of Pakistan: Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2010-11.
- Survey on the Demand for Microinsurance Services in the Philippines: GTZ Philippines and the Microinsurance Innovation Program for Social Security, 2009.